The Green Egg Part 2 or What Was He Smoking?

The Green Egg Part 2 or What Was He Smoking?

As mentioned in my previous post, my wife gave me one of the best barbecue grills available  – a Big Green Egg.   With it I’ve created some great smoked meat.  I’d like to brag that it is ‘legendary,’  but I’ve been told that just because I think it, doesn’t make it so.  In any case, the meat often receives compliments and it is now expected that
I’ll be smoking something for any event and/or holiday that comes up.
The fire department has even dropped in on a couple of occasions –
uninvited and always before the meat was ready – but I’ll explain more
about that later.

The Big Green Egg set up and ready to smoke!




By the way, if you missed my earlier posting about the backyard smoking (or
barbecuing), check it out here:


My daughter’s 5th birthday provided an opportunity for me to fire up
the green egg to feed the masses that would be coming.  We were
expecting 25 kids – with at least that many adults – so it was quite a
crowd to feed.  A pork butt (which is really the shoulder but less fun
to say!) would typically be good for crowds that size, but it could
take as long as 16 hours – and I couldn’t work my schedule to get it
on in time.  So, I settled for ribs, which I typically cook for 6
hours.  I knew it wouldn’t be enough for everyone, but we were going
to have lots of other food and many of those coming were vegetarians.

Sweet ‘N Heat Hot BBQ Rub

Ribs can be served either wet (with a BBQ sauce) or dry.  I prefer wet
– and my favorite sauce comes from Oklahoma Joe’s in Kansas City.
I just found out they sell it online, so I’m adding it to my Giftsoc now, and suggest you do the

But the problem with ‘wet’ ribs is that they can be pretty messy; so for a
kids birthday party I opted for dry, and used a rub that I had used
before –  Sweet and Heat from Obie-Cue’s Texas Spice.  It isn’t very spicy, but adds a
good flavor to the ribs.

The plan was for the ribs to be ready by 2pm, and wanting to smoke
them for 6 hours meant they had to go on the smoker by 8am.  It
usually takes me about an hour to get the egg to the right temperature
(225 F in this case), but to be safe I went ahead and lit the fire
around 6:15am.

The ribs will smoke for 6 hours.








It’s that first hour or two that usually causes me
problems.  If I get too impatient and don’t let the coals burn enough
before closing the lid a LOT of smoke can be created.  You would think
this would be desirable –  after all – smoke provides the flavor for
the meat.  Unfortunately, after a long dry summer some people get a
little jumpy and call the fire department when they smell smoke!
Luckily, that did not happen this time.  It’s only happened twice
before, and I’m glad to see the fire department is so responsive
– it’s just a little embarrassing to have the fire truck pull up because I didn’t light the charcoal properly!

The smoke should be light once the meat is on the grill.








To bring this to an end – yes, I did get the ribs on by 8am and off by
2pm, and they were a big hit with everyone that tried them.
Unfortunately – I didn’t get a picture of the finished product –
someone was using the camera to take pictures of the birthday girl!

The Birthday Girl